Newest Message: RE:Boro boost their defensive ranks further with new signing by Burniston on 19/1/2018, 19:17:20 - View Thread

Thread: 90716

RIP Boro legend John Powell by Old Git

Posted: 11/1/2018 at 18:29:25, 133 views.

who died on Christmas Day, aged 81.
see full story on offical Site

Just add my own bit cos John was one of footballing heroes when I was a kid.
Along with the side that included Eddy Brown and Alan Franks.
Winning the North East League & Cup Double in 1962-63 my favourite all time Scarborough side,
scoring goals for fun and having a good F.A. cup run before losing to Crewe after a replay.
The rest of that side included Tommy McQaid, Billy Mordue, Terry Wood, Jim McCusker,
Derek Boyes, Owen Laffey, Cliff Jones, Barry Dunn and Peter Whyke. The season ended with a 5-1 thrashing of newly
crowned Midland League Champions Loughborough United in an end of season friendly.
Because of the horrendous winter weather that season Boro only played 31 matches but scored 100 goals
in the two leagues season, with much of the same team Boro joined the Midland League and scored 107 goals in 42 league games, with Johhny Powell getting his fair share.
That was the season that saw us beat Stamford 11-0, although their keeper got injured in the first half and there was no subs allowed then, and it was bloody cold cos I can remember clinging to the hot pipe that ran up the back of the old main stand to keep warm at half time. (The last match of the season was away at Stamford and it ended 2-2 when 11 played 11.)
A few weeks after beating Stamford, Boro thrashed Retford 8-0 with John Powell getting a hat-trick.
No doubt there’ll be a few more on here who remember Johnnny Powell as I seem to remember a couple of young mascots from those days who’ll be in their early twenties just about now.

• IP Address: 91.125.32.14

Sure about this OG? by Cynic

Posted: 11/1/2018 at 18:43:10, 120 views. In reply to 'RIP Boro legend John Powell'

‘ No doubt there’ll be a few more on here who remember Johnnny Powell as I seem to remember a couple of young mascots from those days who’ll be in their early twenties just about now.’

• IP Address: 79.74.106.25

Never a strong point with me by Old Git

Posted: 11/1/2018 at 19:01:05, 115 views. In reply to 'Sure about this OG?'

Maths.
All that adding and subtracting years and such.

RE: Sure about this OG? by old seadog User: old seadog

Posted: 11/1/2018 at 21:55:44, 87 views. In reply to 'Sure about this OG?'

As one of those young mascots I remember John well as he lodged with us for a while and we have kept in touch all through the years. He was a proper gentleman . His son has found a copy of his contract with Scarborough and he was on £10 a week which must have been a lot of money because he turned down full time terms at York City to stay part time with Scarborough as he was earning more by working and playing
Glad your good at Maths OG so I will be 28 in 2 weeks time

Edited on 11/01/18 at 21:57:39
  • IP Address: 2.98.114.126

Good to know you’re old enough to drink now. by Old Git

Posted: 11/1/2018 at 22:17:36, 81 views. In reply to 'RE: Sure about this OG?'

You can celebrate your birthday with a bottle or two of Jubilee
I think it’s about 1/3d a bottle in the Railway Tavern

RE: RIP Boro legend John Powell by Dunno

Posted: 11/1/2018 at 19:29:34, 78 views. In reply to 'RIP Boro legend John Powell'

R.I.P John Powell.

His name is on this link a couple of times

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scarborough_F.C._seasons

Top scorer in 1960/61 and joint with Alan Franks in 1963/4 season.

• IP Address: 151.228.192.73

Just noticed on official site story by Old Git

Posted: 11/1/2018 at 20:00:57, 92 views. In reply to 'RE: RIP Boro legend John Powell'

It calls John Powell a ‘creative midfielder’.
I doubt many fans at the time saw him in midfield.
He was an inside forward, predominanlty inside left.
Like many inside forwards he played in a number of positions during in a game and would switch
positions with Alan Franks and whoever happened to be Centre Forward.
Some games he performed role of Outside Left or Left Wing. He had more bulk than Franksy
so was really useful against big defenders cos he still had a bit of pace and I remember him
scoring by running in towards goal from behind Brown & Franks through the gaps they created
and thrashing the ball across the keeper and into the net at the Edgehill Road end.
A number of JPs goals semed involve a good amount of wellie which is why he was a favourite.
Cliff Jones, at Inside Right, would drop back slightly to act as a link with the Boro half-back line
but that was just a reflection of the individual strengths in the side, its balance and how the side functioned
but he too was liable to end up first in the box to score. Although I do recall him spending a lot
of time hanging about between the halfway line and the oppostion goal emptying the contents of his nose
into the palm of his hand before wiping it onto his shorts.

I think by villager

Posted: 12/1/2018 at 17:43:12, 57 views. In reply to 'Just noticed on official site story'

Cliff came with Owen from Sheffield Wed.must have been around 62/63

• IP Address: 151.227.170.217

RE: RIP Boro legend John Powell by Chelsea john

Posted: 11/1/2018 at 20:01:25, 77 views. In reply to 'RIP Boro legend John Powell'

Love old gits posts on here .That man knows his scarborough football club

• IP Address: 85.255.236.130

Actually it’s a mix of old newspaper cuttings by Old Git

Posted: 11/1/2018 at 20:16:38, 79 views. In reply to 'RE: RIP Boro legend John Powell'

that I kept from the early 60s, spending most games right up behind the goal
at the Edgehill Road/Seamer Road Ends and stats from that young Adamson’s book.
Sadly a lot of my newspaper cuttings have disintergrated so I’ve lost the coverage
of the Boro v South Shields game when Eddy Brown spent the whole game out on the left wing.
There was a photo on the back of the SEN of Eddy dashing down the left wing towards
the Edgehill Tea Hut looking as though he was hoping to cross the ball, jump over the fence
and grab a pork pie before Franksy or John Powell put the ball into the net.

problem with knocking on by Old Git

Posted: 12/1/2018 at 04:50:37, 76 views. In reply to 'Actually it’s a mix of old newspaper cuttings'

is that although I can remember details of games from yonks ago
my spelling is getting worse and my eyesight isn’t what it was.
Along with my dodgy maths seems the only job I’m fit for is referee,

RE: problem with knocking on by Terry Hope

Posted: 12/1/2018 at 09:00:22, 72 views. In reply to 'problem with knocking on'

Wouldn’t worry about any of that if you can provide such entertaining feeds such as these!

• IP Address: 178.78.99.91

my first season by deep seadog User: deep seadog

Posted: 12/1/2018 at 09:16:03, 110 views. In reply to 'RE: problem with knocking on'

Amazing that this was the season my Grandad took me to my first match, while I don’t remember a lot of players over the years I could give that team from memory, I’m Sure the 11-0 was when Derek Boyes was moved from wing half to centre forward to cover for an injury and scored 6 goals, Powell was certainly the old style inside forward and a class act.

• IP Address: 86.130.118.195

RE: my first season by Terry Hope

Posted: 12/1/2018 at 12:17:19, 92 views. In reply to 'my first season'

Spot on! Boyes 6, Dunn 2, Franks 2, J Rose - attendance 1,600.
Nothing to do with me; courtesy of Steve Adamson’s Official History book

• IP Address: 178.78.99.91

Newer Thread: Boro boost their defensive ranks further with new signing

Older Thread: Prediction competition

© Surfing Seadog. All Rights Reserved. Site design and development: Steve Smith

Views expressed on this forum are those of the individual poster, and not of the site administrators,scarborough athletic football club or the seadog trust unless otherwise stated.