Newest Message: RE: What by seadog365 on 24/6/2019, 19:05:11 - View Thread

My favourite Gordon Banks save by Old Git

Posted: 12/2/2019 at 12:55:38, 214 views. In reply to 'Not forgetting that Colin Appleton was'

was one I’ve never seen.
It was on December 15, 1971 and was the League Cup Semi-final 2nd leg
between West Ham & Stoke City.

West Ham had won the first leg 2-1 at Stoke and Stoke were leading 1-0 at West Ham
when the Hammers were awarded a penalty.
I was working an evening shift at Reuters on Fleet Street and I was watching the
Teleprinter for the lastest prices of stocks and shares coming in from around the world
as part of my job working on the American Markets Desk.

All my ‘Desk’ colleagues were West Ham suppporters and they were gathered around
the next Teleprinter, the one that brought in the UK Sports News.
They all cheered so I had a look at the message on their Teleprinter it read
‘Penalty awarded to West Ham’
A few seconds and the Teleprinter burst into life ‘Geoff Hurst takes Penalty’
It was now tense in the office until once again the Teleprinter started up and the message was
‘Banks saves penalty’.
I really enjoyed that as it went all quiet and I shouted ‘Banksy Banksy’.
It was good revenge for me as I’d been in work on 20th November 1971
when Hartlepool hammered Boro 6-1 in the F.A. Cup and my ‘colleagues’ had a good laugh at that.

That save meant that the teams were tied after 2 legs and it took 2 replays before Stoke won through
to the final by beating West ham 3-2 in a game that saw Bobby Moore take over in
the West Ham goal for 20 mins.
The Hammers goalkeeper Bobby Ferguson was receiving treatment so Bobby Moore went between the sticks.
Moore saved a penalty but the taker, Mike Bernard, followed up and scored from the rebound.

About the Banks save that I never saw
From the Daily Mail
“Gordon Banks last night made one of the greatest saves of his distinguished career,
at Upton Park, to stop West Ham from going into the League Cup final at Wembley on March 4″.
Stoke went on to beat Chelsea 2-1 in that final.

• IP Address: 162.158.34.150

Newer Thread: Boro to play PSF away at Gateshead. Twitter 27 July. n/t.

Older Thread: Highlights of Stafford Rangers match

© Surfing Seadog. All Rights Reserved. Site design and development: Steve Smith

Views expressed on this forum are those of the individual poster, and not of the site administrators,scarborough athletic football club or the seadog trust unless otherwise stated.