Newest Message: RE: RE: Gateshead troubles by Boro345 on 25/5/2019, 21:52:35 - View Thread

Re : My favourite Gordon Banks save by BoroNo7 User: BoroNo7

Posted: 13/2/2019 at 09:02:15, 166 views. In reply to 'My favourite Gordon Banks save'

I’ve been watching football now for over 65 years and in that time the best goalkeeping display I ever saw involved Gordon Banks

I say “involved” as he was only half of that display

The match in question was Wednesday v Leicester at Hillsborough in Dec 1965 - keeping goal for Wednesday was the England international the great Ron Springett, whose younger brother Peter is an ex-Boro keeper.In 1966 Banks and Springett were the 2 goalies in the World Cup Winning squad

The match ended 0-0 but it was the most entertaining 0-0 I have ever seen, it should have been about 5-5. I’ve never seen a game before or since where both keepers had an absolute blinder ,both sets of forwards must have come off feeling totally cheated.It was an end to end match and it seemed as though when. Banks made a brilliant save next time the ball was at the Wednesday end Springett thought “ just watch this then” and made an equally great save - and so it went on vice versa for 90 minutes

Thanks for the memory Gordon….and Ron

• IP Address: 162.158.34.150

Newer Thread: Gateshead troubles

Older Thread: Highlights of Stafford Rangers match

© Surfing Seadog. All Rights Reserved. Site design and development: Steve Smith

Views expressed on this forum are those of the individual poster, and not of the site administrators,scarborough athletic football club or the seadog trust unless otherwise stated.