Newest Message: Jack Johnson leaves Boro by seadog365 on 29/5/2020, 21:06:37 - View Thread

Name
Email
Title
End of 19-20 and prospects for 20-21 by Farsley Arkan User: Farsley Arkan

6/5/2020, 204 views.

Dunno about you folk, but for me, there was still too much football to be played - a good quarter of the season OR MORE in this country, to be able to award titles, promotions/relegations etc based on the current standings.
The PL is gung-ho due to the money from TV that they are desperate for. They seem keen to risk infection & lives to try to keep their paymasters happy.

As part of this, the thinking seems to be playing matches behind closed doors. Of course the PL is about the only div in the world that can afford to not have supporters turn up/pay in. The rest of us….

The closed door idea seems to involve around 300 people being in a ground - players, staff, cameramen, etc.

Sooo - if that applies across the board, could they then actually LET non-league football happen in 20-21 as ‘normal’? Hear me out.
If games are played with squads of 14-15 each, manager, physio, refs, a couple of club people to switch on the lights etc… then this is under 40 by my reckoning. So they could then allow 250 or so supporters in.
In the NPL and below that is around the average for crowds I’d say. Don’t have away support (travelling issues/possible ongoing restrictions). Pickering for example probably don’t get that on a good day, so take the 10-15 away fans from Marine out of the equation, and they could let in their usual attendance, and play ‘normally’ - with the gate funds then helping to actually fund the whole thing. Otherwise it is just a reliance of someone/organisation footing the whole bill for players wages etc.

I am certainly against trying to play soon - the summer is just too soon for me & things will have changed, so it isn’t the same level of competitive integrity (one of their phrases) in any case. Injured players returning, some will inevitable transfer as out of contract. Fingers crossed football could return for season 20-21 in Sept onwards. This way at least those clubs who need the money most- semi-pro non league - can earn their money usual IF football is allowed.

© Surfing Seadog. All Rights Reserved. Site design and development: Steve Smith

Views expressed on this forum are those of the individual poster, and not of the site administrators,scarborough athletic football club or the seadog trust unless otherwise stated.