Newest Message: The Tannoy by on 14/8/2018, 13:31:55 - View Thread

Thread: 91465

O/T Wembley - should finals be elsewhere? by Malton Seadog User: Malton Seadog

Posted: 27/5/2018 at 19:56:32, 237 views.

Interested in thoughts on Wembley and whether certain big games should be played elsewhere?

A crowd of less than 27,000 at the League One playoff final between Rotherham and Shrewsbury today means over two thirds of the stadium was empty. Non-league day attracted 31,403 split among the four finalists of the FA Trophy and Vase, leaving almost 60,000 empty seats. The Conference playoff final had 16,306 in the ground, leaving a whopping 73,000+ seats empty. The Checkatrade Trophy final between Lincoln City and Shrewsbury attracted 41,000, so still less than half full. Even the Chelsea-Southampton FA Cup semi final only had 73,416 in the ground, leaving well over 15,000 empty seats.

Only the FA Cup final (87,647), one FA Cup semi final (84,667), the League Cup final (85,671), and Championship playoff final (85,243) really justified the size of the stadium this season.

Coventry v Exeter tomorrow in League Two promises to be better than today, with Coventry having sold 35,000 and Exeter around 10,000, but the crowd will still probably not exceed 50,000.

As a bit of off-season discussion, do you think certain games should be moved away from Wembley?

Theoretical situation next season in League One for example: Doncaster Rovers vs Barnsley in the playoff final at Wembley? Wouldn’t Old Trafford be a better option, or even Hillsborough which can hold almost 40,000?

I think the FA Trophy and FA Vase should stay at Wembley, simply because it’s magical for clubs like Thatcham Town and Stockton Town to get to play there.

The Conference Playoff final? Not convinced. I think moving it back to a Premier League or Championship ground would suffice. Tranmere, the best supported club in the division, had around 10,000 at Wembley. Can’t help but think if it was at Old Trafford or the Etihad, that this number would be doubled.

FA Cup Semi Finals? Not for me. You’re being rewarded for potentially finishing 4th in the competition.

Thoughts? What should and shouldn’t be played at the national stadium with its 90,000 capacity?

• IP Address: 162.158.155.172

Also by Cynic

Posted: 27/5/2018 at 20:11:19, 235 views. In reply to 'O/T Wembley - should finals be elsewhere?'

As relevant might be the price of tickets, I know that some averagish seats at today’s game were about £80. Add travelling costs and the usual extras and it’s just too expensive for many (esp if can be watched in a local pub for nothing).

• IP Address: 162.158.155.202

You may be right … by Cynic Al

Posted: 28/5/2018 at 14:14:31, 224 views. In reply to 'O/T Wembley - should finals be elsewhere?'

I agree with you with regards to the size of the attendances etc. But I was under the impression that the use of wembley had more to do with the FA needing to have as many events there as possible in order to finance the renovations. Holding a play-off final at another ground would cost the FA money. It’s never been about the fans ……

• IP Address: 31.52.182.34

RE: O/T Wembley - should finals be elsewhere? by dogtanian User: dogtanian

Posted: 28/5/2018 at 18:03:24, 185 views. In reply to 'O/T Wembley - should finals be elsewhere?'

Manchester would be much better for clubs like Tranmere, but not for two southern clubs. It’s happened before like that

Whitby would’ve been a more realistic venue for our final v Middlesbrough if we’re talking crowd:capacity ratio, but I loved going to a big ground, it was a great trip out. Even including the SFC days it’s the biggest ground I’ve seen a boro team play at, and it made it special. If we got to play at Wembley in front of 5,000 I wouldn’t care that 85,000 seats were empty (or whatever the number is)

• IP Address: 148.252.128.213

Newer Thread: Hednesford on Saturday

Older Thread: Retained players and new signings

© Surfing Seadog. All Rights Reserved. Site design and development: Steve Smith

Views expressed on this forum are those of the individual poster, and not of the site administrators,scarborough athletic football club or the seadog trust unless otherwise stated.