Newest Message: Vallo by Derek Abbey’s barnet on 25/4/2019, 00:42:47 - View Thread

Thread: 92257

Sideways,Backwards,Downwards? by BoroNo7 User: BoroNo7

Posted: 19/3/2019 at 21:48:22, 307 views.

Call me a cynic if you will, but there must be more to the recent sacking of SK than meets the eye

After Saturday’s very brief statement the Chairman issued a fuller statement in which he thanked SK and CB for their efforts and which included this passage :-

“We have been successful over the past three years under the stewardship of Steve Kittrick, reaching three cup finals, reaching the play-offs and having a promotion in our first season back home in Scarborough.Chairman Trevor Bull wished to put on record; Steve has instigated some fantastic times at the football club. I want to thank Steve and Chris for all they have done for Scarborough Athletic.Since the end of 2018 our form hasn’t been great and we have decided that we want to move the club in a different direction next season and we want to start making preparations for 2019/20.”

A football fan landing from Mars and reading that could be excused for thinking that SK had done a very good job over 3.5 years and that he had been sacked because “Since the end of 2018 our form hasn’t been great “ (12 weeks) and we have decided that we want to move the club in a different direction “

The obvious 2 questions which come to my mind are :-

- just what direction do the Board have in mind after 3 seasons of continuous upward travel

- what might a prospective new manager think about his potential new employers if they admit that 12 weeks of form that “ hasn’t been great” after 3 seasons of constant improvement and success brings the sack

As I said at the beginning I think there’s more to this than we currently know

• IP Address: 78.151.68.178

RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards? by SeadogBlade

Posted: 20/3/2019 at 06:06:08, 251 views. In reply to 'Sideways,Backwards,Downwards?'

The different direction could be using younger more local lads.

SK as people may know didn’t utilise the local talent in the area as much,
maybe this could be that different direction?

Als could be use less contracted players, as it looks like it may have
cost us more from dealings with Leon Scott and may of caused fractions
between contracted players and non contracted players.

That two options of going in a different direction.

• IP Address: 81.159.193.106

RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards? by Guy Fawkes User: Guy Fawkes

Posted: 20/3/2019 at 13:06:54, 248 views. In reply to 'Sideways,Backwards,Downwards?'

I think that’s a fair post, albeit I didn’t see too many questions when SK wanted to take a different direction when he got rid of Mark Hume back in January. Nobody seemed to ask what direction he wanted to take…………… and at that point we were in a downward spiral, and matters don’t seem to have taken a better turn for that decision.

From a shaky start, SK has generally done well. Having had a great start to the 2017/18 season, the Board decided to back him, and granted further funds for, what may be described as a marquee signing (Walshaw). That ‘gamble’ worked with us gaining promotion - but the resulting cost increase can be seen in those Audited Accounts. That new wage structure was presumably the starting point for finances this year, and given comments in his interviews, we appear to have more players contracted than ever before.

What’s to say that, given a fantastic (and unexpected) start to this season, the Board haven’t done the same again? We’ve signed more and more players, albeit a) personally speaking, with one exception, I don’t believe the team has been improved and b) they all seem VERY similar (positionally and style).

For my money, from the position we were in at the end of October, we appear to have wasted an opportunity. Signings haven’t been great, results have been poor, and the style of play confusing at best. You can start to see that with Saturday’s crowd too. 300 down from where we’ve been at say average £7 net per person is 2 grand short……………… plus bar takings, programmes, food etc etc. If chatter is anything to go by, the Manager is on a fair wedge - and like someone posted the other day, has assistants coming out of his ears. The question for me to answer then, is ‘am I getting value for money?’

As far as I’m concerned the answer is NO (was I ever??) and so I am fully supportive of the Board’s ‘different direction’. If that means bringing through some youth (and a good number of you have waxed lyrical about the style of play of the youngsters we have), or cutting out some of the hangers on / deadwood, then so be it.

I think it needs freshening up.- and a change of Manager the start of that process.

• IP Address: 78.149.162.84

RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards? by cynic

Posted: 20/3/2019 at 16:08:40, 218 views. In reply to 'Sideways,Backwards,Downwards?'

You may well be right that there is more to this than meets the eye (there often is, the Board will be closer to the players than most on here) but I wouldn’t read to much into the Chairman’s comments, they’re fairly standard and he isn’t going to say we’ve sacked him because we think…..etc etc. The MUFC board said something similar about Jose…bet you a lot of money the official statement is nothing close to what they were actually thinking.

• IP Address: 80.41.64.32

RE: RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards? by dogtanian User: dogtanian

Posted: 20/3/2019 at 18:34:32, 202 views. In reply to 'RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards?'

I too was very intrigued by the “different direction” comment.

• IP Address: 185.7.246.202

RE: RE: RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards? by cynic

Posted: 20/3/2019 at 18:39:26, 203 views. In reply to 'RE: RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards?'

Both of you might be right and there’s an implication in the ‘different direction’ on the other hand would you get rid of someone and say you didn’t want change? Who knows? I don’t.

• IP Address: 80.41.64.32

RE: RE: RE: RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards? by beckywitch User: beckywitch

Posted: 20/3/2019 at 19:58:45, 209 views. In reply to 'RE: RE: RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards?'

He did go on a bit about not having enough money and not being able to put more players on contract. Maybe we need someone more willing to work within our budget?

beckywitch

• IP Address: 2a02:c7d:8673:d700:3

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards? by Guy Fawkes User: Guy Fawkes

Posted: 20/3/2019 at 21:25:20, 226 views. In reply to 'RE: RE: RE: RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards?'

We seem a bit defensive of our ex manager here - and that doesn’t sit well with me.

About a month back I asked on here what had changed since SK chucked Mark Hume under the bus for a ‘different direction’. Not one of you answered (apart from Geoff as I’d opened up an angle for him to discuss the latest performance). Seems to me that you are more concerned with asking the Chairman about his ‘different direction’ than you were the ex Manager about his change of direction. And that’s not on.

We’ve got players on contract, who he now has sat in the stand. Players WE are paying for, whether they get a game or not. Are they putting any more effort in now they have a contract? And he presumably wanted to hand those contracts out - so now I’m questioning his judgement. Managers will always want more money, because that is their get out clause - not the fact they couldn’t get the best from their resources.

If someone can get a better tune out of the same players, then good on them. If that person can get better value for money with the same or lower budget even better. BUT, I don’t care if its an excuse or not, if we have a new direction or not, Trevor and the Board have made a call for the better of this club. End of!

• IP Address: 78.149.162.84

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards? by dogtanian User: dogtanian

Posted: 21/3/2019 at 01:20:58, 205 views. In reply to 'RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards?'

It would just be interesting to know what the “different direction” is, wouldn’t it? Kittricks different direction was to get rid of Hume and bring back his old assistant - it wasn’t difficult to work that one out :)

• IP Address: 82.42.101.36

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards? by guy fawkes User: guy fawkes

Posted: 21/3/2019 at 07:42:26, 210 views. In reply to 'RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards?'

And that hasn’t really worked has it?

The chairman’s new direction is to get rid of the manager and his assistant and bring somebody new in. Not hard to work that out either - so let’s move on and stop looking for hidden meanings behind this decision 😄

• IP Address: 78.145.173.50

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards? by dogtanian User: dogtanian

Posted: 21/3/2019 at 12:49:34, 219 views. In reply to 'RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Sideways,Backwards,Downwards?'

There was an implied change in philosophy. People are entitled to be curious as to what that might be, that doesn’t necessarily constitute support for the outgoing management team

• IP Address: 185.69.145.240

Newer Thread: Nathan Valentine

Older Thread: I trust the board on this one

© Surfing Seadog. All Rights Reserved. Site design and development: Steve Smith

Views expressed on this forum are those of the individual poster, and not of the site administrators,scarborough athletic football club or the seadog trust unless otherwise stated.